More resources for national banks
Community Affairs Publications
The Community Developments Article Archive provides easy access to every community development article published by the OCC. Articles are sorted by category and by state. Visit the article archive.
Financial Literacy Update
Learn about upcoming events, initiatives, and education resources related to financial literacy in this bi-monthly newsletter.
Get the key facts on innovative products and services, investment vehicles, and government programs and initiatives related to community development and consumer banking.
Learn about products, services, and initiatives focused on investments, and services aimed at traditionally-underserved markets segments. Each Insights discusses how selected products or initiatives operate, why they might be of interest to other banks, and associated risks or regulatory considerations.
This e-zine captures the creative ideas of bankers and community development practitioners investing in community development, and identifies common features that can be applied to other investments. It presents investment opportunities in the OCC Districts, and provides links to related resources, including the OCC's public welfare investment authority (12 CFR 24).
- Small Multifamily Rental Property Financing (Spring 2015): This issue describes what the small multifamily rental housing market looks like, some of the challenges the market faces, and the range of ways that banks and federal savings associations are active players in the market.
- Financing Business Development and Expansion in Rural America (November 2013): This issue focuses on initiatives that have allowed banks to expand their financing for small business development in rural areas across America.
- Investing in Wind Energy Using the Public Welfare Investment Authority (Fall 2013): This issue examines how banks can be a source of financing for facilities that generate renewable wind energy.
- Extending Credit in Indian Country (August 2013): This issue highlights some best practices, challenges, and Community Reinvestment Act treatment of investments, service, and credit extension made by national banks and federal savings associations in Indian Country.
- Strategies for Leveraging the State Small Business Credit Initiative (February 2013)
This issue explores how banks can use the SSBCI Program to help meet the needs of small business borrowers.
- Bank Financing of Healthy-Food Initiatives (August 2012) (PDF): This issue explores how banks can help finance the growing effort to transform low-income communities lacking grocery stores into thriving markets.
- Ending Homelessness: Financing Permanent Supportive Housing (February 2012) (PDF): This issue highlights how financial institutions can support community goals to end homelessness by providing financing to developers of permanent supportive housing.
- Investing in Solar Energy Using the Public Welfare Investment Authority (PDF) (July 2011): This issue highlights the innovative investments national banks have made in solar energy-producing facilities using their public welfare investment authority.
- Renewing Economic Growth: Small Business Jobs Act of 2010 (PDF) (June 2011): This issue explores three main features of the Small Business Jobs Act of 2010, describing the programs and provisions and explaining their requirements.
- Charter School Financing Opportunities (PDF) (Spring 2011): This issue provides background information about charter schools; discusses the availability of federal, state, and local resources to support the financing of charter school facilities; and includes case studies of financing structures provided by banks.
- Public Welfare Investments: A Catalyst for Community Development (PDF) (Fall 2010) The articles in this issue highlight community development investing in the common types of public welfare investments; compare the public welfare investment authority provisions with CRA; and explain the public welfare investment submission process, as well as documentation requirements for public welfare investments.
- Road to Recovery: Banks Can Use Recovery Act to Help Pave the Way (PDF) (Spring 2010) describes how banks and their local partners can help promote economic growth through programs authorized in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and subsequent legislation. The newsletter provides a snapshot of various Recovery Act programs designed to encourage lending, investments and community development services activities and outlines how such activities might help a bank's Community Reinvestment Act performance.
- Neighborhood Stabilization: Local Partnerships Are Rebuilding Communities (PDF) (Fall 2009)
- Cultivating Community-based Financial Literacy Initiatives (PDF) (Spring 2009)
Highlights roles that banks can play in promoting financial stability through local partnership efforts. Its articles describe four programs that help banks and their community partners reach out to consumers to encourage better money management through savings and checking products.
- Multibank CDCs: Pooling Resources to Strengthen Communities (PDF) (Fall 2008)
Focuses on the multibank community development corporation and features guidance for establishing one.
- Gulf Coast Redevelopment: Pathways to Recovery (PDF) (Fall 2008)
- Preservation of Affordable Multifamily Housing (PDF) (Spring 2008)
Community Affairs Year in Review
The "Year in Review" highlights the Community Affairs Department's national and regional activities to support the OCC's mission. It features events held nationally and in each of the OCC's four districts to promote banker education and community reinvestment.
Other Community Affairs Publications