Mutual Savings Associations
The history of the mutual form of ownership dates to the formation of the first savings association in 1831—the Oxford Provident Building Association. By buying shares in the association and pooling their money, members came to realize the dreams of homeownership that had been out of reach. Free from stockholder calls for larger returns, mutual institutions tend to be small, locally focused institutions. The OCC tailors its exam procedures and off-site monitoring to the unique characteristics and operations of these institutions. Mutuals play an important role in providing financial services to communities across America.
2018 Joint Mutual Forum
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation are holding a Joint Mutual forum on July 25, 2018. Attendees will have the opportunity to meet with executives from other mutual organizations, as well as senior management and leadership of the OCC and the FDIC. The intent of the Joint Forum is to promote the operations of mutual depository institutions and to discuss industry trends.
The Joint Forum is open to executives from mutual institutions and stock institutions owned by mutual holding companies.
OCC/FDIC Joint Mutual Forum
July 24 - Welcome Reception, 5:30 to 7:00PM ET
Mutual Savings Association Advisory Committee
The Mutual Savings Association Advisory Committee (MSAAC) helps the OCC assess the state of mutual savings associations and advises the OCC on ways to help ensure their continued health and viability.
- BankNet - Log on to this secure Web site exclusively for employees of national banks and federal savings associations for e-mail, financial services industry news, tools and reports, a calendar of upcoming events, and more.
- Director Workshops - Register for effective workshops that focus on roles and responsibilities for directors of national community banks and federal savings associations.
- Subscribe to OCC E-Mail - The OCC offers a variety of information through free e-mail subscriptions:
- OCC News – Alerts, bulletins, news, and information about the mission, people and capabilities of the OCC.
- OCC Community Affairs News - Information about community development, small business financing, financial literacy, and consumer protection
- OCC Education Announcements - Announcements about outreach and educational opportunities for bank professionals.
- OCC Consumer Advisories - Information of interest to consumers.
- Comptroller's Handbook booklets issued prior to the OTS Integration date that now apply to FSAs
- OCC Advisory Letters issued prior to the OTS Integration date that now apply to FSAs
- OCC Alerts issued prior to the OTS Integration date that now apply to FSAs
- OCC Banking Bulletins issued prior to the OTS Integration date that now apply to FSAs
- OCC Banking Circulars issued prior to the OTS Integration date that now apply to FSAs
- OCC Bulletins issued prior to the OTS Integration date that now apply to FSAs
- OTS CEO Memos
- OTS Document Archive
- OTS Examination Handbook
- OTS Regulatory Bulletins
- OTS Thrift Bulletins
- OTS Trust and Asset Management Handbook
- Rule Redesignation Table
|07/01/2019||OCC 2019-31,||Covered Savings Associations Implementation: Covered Savings Associations|
|06/28/2019||NR 2019-72,||OCC Hosts Mutual Savings Association Advisory Committee Meeting July 23|
|05/22/2019||NR 2019-51,||OCC Appoints Four New Members to Mutual Savings Association Advisory Committee|