Director for Credit Risk Analysis Division
Min Qi is the director for the Credit Risk Analysis Division at the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC).
In this role, Dr. Qi oversees financial economists and quantitative modeling experts in the division who advise bankers, policy makers, and OCC senior management on quantitative modeling and analysis issues in consumer and commercial credit risk modeling, Basel regulatory capital, and model risk management. She was appointed to this position in 2015.
Prior to this position, Dr. Qi served as deputy director for the Credit Risk Analysis Division since 2009 and worked as senior financial economist for the Credit Risk Analysis Division from 2004 to 2009. Prior to joining the OCC, she was an associate professor of economics at Kent State University.
Dr. Qi's research and publications cover a wide range of topics on quantitative modeling and analysis in economics and finance. Her recent research focuses on consumer and commercial credit risk models. She serves as a credit-risk modeling expert participating in exams at national banks, reviewing models used in credit risk management, Basel risk- based capital, and stress testing. Dr. Qi has provided quantitative support for domestic and international guidance and policy development.
She received her Ph.D in economics from the Ohio State University, and a bachelor and master's degree from Tsinghua University.
- Working Papers
- Other Papers
- Li, Phillip, Qi, Min, Xiaofei Zhang and Xinlei Zhao (2016), "Further Investigation of Parametric Loss Given Default Modeling," Journal of Credit Risk, 12(4), 17–47.
- Qi, Min, Xiaofei Zhang and Xinlei Zhao (2014), "Unobservable Systematic Risk Factor and Default Prediction," Journal of Banking and Finance, 49, 216-227.
- Patro, Dilip, Min Qi and Xian Sun (2013), "A Simple Indicator of Systemic Risk," Journal of Financial Stability, 9(1), 105-116.
- Qi, Min and Xinlei Zhao (2013), "Debt Structure, Market Value of Firm and Recovery Rate," Journal of Credit Risk, 9(1), 3-37.
- Qi, Min and Xinlei Zhao (2011), "Comparison of Modeling Methods for Loss Given Default," Journal of Banking and Finance, 35 (11), 2842–2855.
- Aggarwal, Raj and Min Qi (2009), "Distribution of Extreme Changes in Asian Currencies: Tail Index Estimates and Value at Risk Calculations," Applied Financial Economics, 19(13), 1083-1102.
- Qi, Min and Xiaolong Yang (2009), "Loss Given Default of High Loan-to-Value Residential Mortgages," Journal of Banking and Finance, 33(5), 788-799.
- Qi, Min and G. Peter Zhang (2008), "Trend time series modeling and forecasting with neural networks", IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, 19(5), 808-816.
- Qi, Min and Xinlei Zhao (2008), "Market Breadth, Trin Statistic, and Market Returns", Journal of Investing, 17(1), 65-73.
- Yang, Sha, Livia Markoczy and Min Qi (2007), "Unrealistic Optimism in Consumer Credit Card Adoption", Journal of Economic Psychology, 28(2), 170-185.
- Qi, Min and Yangru Wu (2006) "Technical Trading-Rule Profitability, Data Snooping, and Reality Check: Evidence from the Foreign Exchange Market", Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 38(8), 2135-2158.
- Zhang, G. Peter and Min Qi (2005), "Neural Network Forecasting for Seasonal and Trend Time Series", European Journal of Operational Research, 160(2), 501-514.
- Holder, Mark E., Min Qi, and Amit K. Sinha (2004), "The Impact of Time Duration between Trades on the Price of Treasury Futures Contracts", Journal of Futures Markets, 24(10), 965-980.
- Qi, Min and Yangru Wu (2003), "Nonlinear Prediction of Exchange Rates with Monetary Fundamentals," Journal of Empirical Finance, 10(5), 623-640.
- Qi, Min and Sha Yang (2003), "Forecasting Consumer Credit Card Adoption: What Can We Learn about the Utility Function?" International Journal of Forecasting, 19(1), 71-85. Among the Journal’s top 10 requested articles in Year 2003.
- Qi, Min and Harald Scheule (2016), "The Impact of Positive Payment Shocks on Mortgage Credit Risk – a Natural Experiment from Home Equity Lines of Credit at End of Draw"
- Qi, Min, Deming Wu and Hong Yan (2014), "Credit Default Swaps and Loss Given Default: Has the CDS Market Affected the Recovery Rates of U.S. Corporate Defaults?"
- Phillip Li, Min Qi, Xiaofei Zhang, and Xinlei Zhao (2014), "Further Investigation of Parametric Loss Given Default Modeling," OCC Economics Working Paper 2014-2.
- Min Qi and Xinlei Zhao (2011), "Debt Structure, Market Value of Firm, and Recovery Rate," OCC Economics Working Paper 2011-2.
- Qi, Min (2009), "Exposure at Default of Unsecured Credit Cards," OCC Economics Working Paper 2009-2.
- Min Qi and Xiaolong Yang (2007), "Loss Given Default of High Loan-to-Value Residential Mortgages," OCC Economics Working Paper 2007-4.
- Qi, Min (2013), "Mortgage Credit Risk" in: Daniel Rösch and Harald Scheule, eds., Credit Securitizations and Derivatives – Challenges for the Global Markets, Wiley, 35-52.
- Qi, Min and Xinlei Zhao (2010), "Comparison of Vendor Default Prediction Models"
- Qi, Min (2008), "The Use of Financial Collateral and Related-Party Guarantees in Wholesale IRB Quantification," OCC RAD Update, Nov.
- Qi, Min (1996), "Financial Applications of Artificial Neural Networks," in: G.S. Maddala and C.R. Rao, eds., Handbook of Statistics, Vol. 14: Statistical Methods in Finance, North-Holland Elsevier Science Publishers, 529-552.