Mutual Savings Associations
The history of the mutual form of ownership dates to the formation of the first savings association in 1831—the Oxford Provident Building Association. By buying shares in the association and pooling their money, members came to realize the dreams of homeownership that had been out of reach.
Free from stockholder calls for larger returns, mutual institutions tend to be small, locally focused institutions. The OCC tailors its exam procedures and off-site monitoring to the unique characteristics and operations of these institutions. Mutuals play an important role in providing financial services to communities across America.
Mutual Savings Association Advisory Committee
The Mutual Savings Association Advisory Committee (MSAAC) helps the OCC assess the state of mutual savings associations and advises the OCC on ways to help ensure their continued health and viability.
- BankNet - Log on to this secure Website exclusively for employees of national banks and federal savings associations for email, financial services industry news, tools and reports, a calendar of upcoming events, and more.
- Community Bank Director Workshops - Register for effective workshops that focus on roles and responsibilities for directors of national community banks and federal savings associations.
- Subscribe to OCC Email - The OCC offers a variety of information through free email subscriptions:
- OCC News – Alerts, bulletins, news, and information about the mission, people and capabilities of the OCC
- OCC Community Affairs News - Information about community development, small business financing, financial literacy, and consumer protection
- OCC Education Announcements - Announcements about outreach and educational opportunities for bank professionals
- OCC Consumer Advisories - Information of interest to consumers
- Comptroller's Handbook booklets issued prior to the OTS Integration date that now apply to FSAs
- OCC Advisory Letters issued prior to the OTS Integration date that now apply to FSAs
- OCC Alerts issued prior to the OTS Integration date that now apply to FSAs
- OCC Banking Bulletins issued prior to the OTS Integration date that now apply to FSAs
- OCC Banking Circulars issued prior to the OTS Integration date that now apply to FSAs
- OCC Bulletins issued prior to the OTS Integration date that now apply to FSAs
- OTS CEO Memos
- OTS Examination Handbook
- OTS Regulatory Bulletins
- OTS Thrift Bulletins
- OTS Trust and Asset Management Handbook
- Rule Redesignation Table
Related News and Issuances
|03/30/2020||NR 2020-44||OCC Hosts Mutual Savings Association Advisory Committee Meeting April 21 Via Teleconference|
|01/08/2020||OCC 2020-1||Employment Contracts, Mutual-to-Stock Conversions, and Technical Amendments: Notice of Proposed Rulemaking|
|11/25/2019||NR 2019-139||OCC Reduces 2020 Assessments on National Banks and Federal Savings Associations|